Tips for painting with oil paints for beginners:
- Gain knowledge and experience in registration. Before starting in color painting it is advisable to experiment with drawing. Knowledge in registration Is the basis for color painting and will help you achieve more compelling and accurate results. When you start a new drawing it is advisable to make an initial sketch drawing, this will make it very easy for you when you switch to color. When creating a sketch for oil painting on canvas, use an oil-based pastel pencil or oil pastel chalks.
- Equip yourself with oil paints in basic shades. Enough to start with primary colors (red, yellow, blue) and white (use it a lot) from which you will learn to create any desired shade (even black). Later on, when you discover the favorite and most common color palette for you, add flickers of more specific shades. Additional shades Which may be useful at first: ocher (mustard yellowBurnt Umbra / Sienna (Shades of Brown), Green (twig or emerald), Sruline blue And magenta (as in printer inks). Oil paints are very concentrated paints that always come in flickers: small, medium or large.
- Regarding the question Which oil paint company to choose - The quality is determined by the permanence and continuity of a specific shade of color in the tubes of the same manufacturer over the years. You should rely on the recommendations of experienced painters who have gotten to know colors from different companies.
- Equip yourself with useful and necessary equipment. When just starting to paint in oil paints it is important to understand what it is The necessary equipment To do this and equip yourself with what is needed. The quality level of the oil paints, as well as the accompanying equipment - affects the end result and also the painting experience itself. But also do not overdo it and purchase the most expensive equipment there is for a start. Anyone who starts painting with oil paints, and also falls in love and continues - will discover in time what types of brush or painting knives, etc., he prefers. You can upgrade the toolbox gradually, the main thing is to get started.
- Work in a ventilated or open space. Oil paints have a noticeable odor compared to other paints. It is advisable to paint in a ventilated room, in a painting studio or even in the open air. Many students testify that they avoid painting with oil in the house because it makes a smell that may be unpleasant to all members of the household. It is not similar to the smell of fuel, but similarly there are people who can not stand the smell and there are people who even like it. If you have a suitable study or a covered balcony - this is great. And regardless of whether you paint at home or in the studio, go out and paint in nature 🙂 Find a shady corner when the weather is nice and enjoy quality time.
- Be prepared to get dirty. While working with oil paints the hands, clothes and work environment tend to get very dirty. If this deters you, you can use powder-free disposable gloves. In any case, turpentine will help you clean the stains and the work area easily, even from the clothes - dip the stain in turpentine and then wash it normally in a washing machine. In general, we recommend arranging comfortable work clothes for yourself and ones that you will not mind getting dirty.
- Do not give up Yes drawing. Using a canvas is highly recommended for painting and drawing, as the substrate of the painting will be vertical, in front of the eyes at a comfortable angle to work and thus will prevent distortions of vision. In perspective וProportions The object selected for drawing, which may be caused when the canvas is laid on the table as in writing.
- Meet Color theory. For a richer color effect, you can cover the first layer of the painting In complementary colors For the desired colors, using oil paints or even acrylic paints.
- Start with short exercises. Before you go to work on the first painting, do some exercises to get acquainted with the oil paints, for example Exercises in mixing colors and drawing a simple still life. For the exercises enough flat canvas fabric or cardboard making covered with jesso paste.
- Do not be afraid to make mistakes. Using turpentine you can remove paint that went wrong during painting. If the fresh coat of paint is applied on dry oil paints, gently remove with turpentine using a brush or a clean cloth. If you use force to remove the paint, the canvas can be exposed through the dry layer. If all the painting is not to your liking - you can cover it with Jesso ointment and start again.
- Save the colors and materials for further painting. The mixture of flaxseed oil, turpentine and oil paints in the work jar is valid for about 3 months. In addition, at the end of the painting can be saved Plate The reusable oil paints through the braces cover with cling film, which prolongs the freshness of the paints by about a week.
If you have more tips for painting in oil paints or questions, write to us in the comment at the bottom of the page.
Recommended oil painting kits for beginners:
Painting studies at the Cherkov Studio in Givatayim - you are welcome to join:
Art workshops in a personal track - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Alexander Cherkov for adults and young people, beginners and advanced. The studies are in a group setting with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Art workshops for children - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Sophie Cherkov for children of primary school age, beginners and advanced. The studies in small groups with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Related posts about getting acquainted with materials and equipment for painting
Here is an explanation of different color brokers, their characteristics and use of art; Different types of brushes, which are the most common in the field of painting, painting knives, sponge and more.
Paint bases are available in different sizes (for painting standing or sitting in front of a table), and different materials. Here is an explanation of the different types of sinks and how to use them.
Oil paints evoke a deep process and broad personal expression. Here is an explanation of oil paints; Composition and features, how to use, emotional dimension, tips and painting techniques with oil paints.