Gouache painting is in the range Watercolor painting וPainting in acrylic paints. All of these paints are water based but the different compounds give them different properties. Gouache colors are bright colors that are soluble in water, mix easily, are non-toxic, friendly and are recommended for children and preschoolers. Although in adults this medium is less common, but can be very useful - especially in the field of illustration.
Facts and properties of gouache paints
- Gouache paints consist of pigments, water, a thickener and a chalk color. In fact they are kind of Watercolor, Like them are water soluble but opaque. They react to water even after the painting is dry and can continue to paint, even after years. Gouache comes as a liquid or paste, in jars or purples. Sometimes you can find it in a solid state, even then you can wet it with water and paint. They have excellent coverage - a little paint can suffice for a large surface.
- Gouache Gives strong, opaque and bright colors. They dry quickly in a matte shade, are easy to work with, blend well with other mediums such as ink, pencils, acrylic and others, and are even easy to photograph and copy (do not reflect shine) - making them popular with designers and illustrators.
- You can paint with gouache on a variety of surfaces and types of paper, the color retains its hue even on colored paper. Great for painting on canvas, cardboard, wood, watercolor paper or any other thick paper. You can paint with them ceramic clay sculptures, dry clay, paper pulp, styrofoam, gypsum and others.
- Gouache paints are easy to clean with water and come off a garment in the wash, even if you dry on a brush you can wash and remove the paint. Therefore suitable and recommended for children and toddlers.
Emotional dimension and personal expression that allow gouache colors
The gouache paints allow a sense of release through the rapid painting of large surfaces in long movements. Feelings of anger can be processed, as well as releasing trapped internal energy, by smearing paint through intermediaries or hands, spraying directly from the paint container, drumming, and applying paint on large surfaces.
Due to a lack of skill in working with gouache paint and its properties, such as the fluidity of the paint on top of the painting, there may be other uncontrolled and planned situations. This can create a variety of emotions in the creator, between negative emotions (anxiety, lack of control and discomfort) and positive emotions (joy for new discoveries, curiosity and power). The variety of emotion expressions when working with gouache paints improves the ability to be flexible.
When working with wet materials, including gouache paints, there are repeated operations, such as dipping the brush in water, taking a paintbrush and wiping with a cloth. This kind of ritual is for the creator an anchor for finding an inner rhythm, as well as a framework that gives self-confidence, organization, order and setting boundaries, and hence for deeper emotional work.
Gouache Painting - Related equipment and materials
- Painting bedding - almost any type of surface; Canvas fabrics, thick white or colored paper, watercolor paper, cardboard, wood, ceramic clay and more.
- Yes drawing - Depending on your preferred way of working; A table drawing for sitting or a standing painting for standing.
- Color mediators - The size of the brush chosen depends on the size of the substrate and the painted image. The quality of the brushes is not significant because the brush hair torn during painting can be easily removed from a dry painting. Sponges of various kinds can be used to create interesting textures and light and airy textures.
- Color palette - You can use a wooden, plastic, porcelain plate or a disposable plate.
- Lacquer spray - When you have finished working with the gouache paints, you can spray the varnish spray on the painting for a glossy effect and a richer color. Varnish coating will prevent the gouache from dissolving in water again.
How to use and work with gouache paints
Gouache colors usually come in a tube or jar, which can be taken out on She spat For use in painting, directly from and through the receiver paintbrush Out of the jar. How to use gouache paints in a variety of ways; Through spatulas, sponges, sticks, brushes to painting with your hands or fingers. When used with water, a clear to opaque, smooth or three-dimensional gouache paint layer can be created. You can mix different colors and create new shades on a palette using a damp brush.
The drying time of the paint depends on the thickness of the layer, which ranges from a few minutes to half an hour of drying. After drying you can moisten again with water and continue painting. In addition, it is possible to paint on a dry gouache layer using a variety of painting and drawing materials: pastel, acrylic and ink. In addition, a gouache drawing can be combined with regular pencils and colored pencils.
When the painting is finished with gouache and dried, you can watch the painting Varnish Uniform appearance and shine as well as protection from moisture and weather damage.
Tips and recommendations for painting with gouache:
- Before starting in color painting it is advisable to experiment with drawing. Knowledge in registration Is the basis for color painting and will help you achieve more compelling and accurate results. When you start a new drawing it is advisable to make an initial sketch drawing, this will make it very easy for you when you switch to color. When creating a sketch for a gouache painting on canvas, use a pastel pencil.
- You should know the Principles of color theory, What are the primary colors and what are the complementary colors and how to treat them in painting. The knowledge will help you create the illusion of three-dimensionality and depth in color painting.
- You can paint with gouache and get the look and effect of watercolors by diluting the paint with lots of water.
- Can be painted using paintbrush Or dip in a plate full of gouache with a variety of materials, including materials from nature, and create stamps on drawing papers.
- through sponge Wet with gouache paint, an airy texture can be created, perfect for creating blue-and-white shades of sky; Sea in shades of blue-green; Speaks in shades of brown-yellow; Grass in shades of green-yellow. Available Gouache color vials with a built-in sponge - Highly recommended for preschoolers and children.
- There are glowing shades of gouache colors, which reflect light in ultraviolet light and stand out over other colors. It is recommended to combine them with painting or coloring, for enrichment and to add a play aspect to the painting experience for the children.
- In preparation for drawing, you can make a sketch with a regular pencil or colored pencils and move with gouache on top. Contours should be done at the end of the painting, on top of a layer of dry gouache using permanent marker or ink marker.
- Preschoolers are advised to give primary colors (red, yellow and blue) and white color and allow them to mix colors and arouse curiosity in creating and discovering new shades.
Painting studies at the Cherkov Studio in Givatayim - you are welcome to join:
Art workshops in a personal track - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Alexander Cherkov for adults and young people, beginners and advanced. The studies are in a group setting with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Art workshops for children - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Sophie Cherkov for children of primary school age, beginners and advanced. The studies in small groups with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Related posts about getting acquainted with painting materials:
Oil paints evoke a deep process and broad personal expression. Here is an explanation of oil paints; Composition and features, how to use, emotional dimension, tips and painting techniques with oil paints.
Acrylic paints are suitable for almost any surface. Here is an explanation of acrylic paints; Composition and features, how to use, emotional dimension, tips and techniques painting in acrylic paints.
Watercolor colors express movement, lightness, flow and transparency. Here is an explanation of watercolors; Composition and features, how to use, emotional dimension, tips and techniques in watercolor painting.