Drawing in pastel oil is perfect for children and fun for adults as well. Oil pastel is excellent for fast, expressive and colorful drawings and is also suitable for invested and lasting drawings. You can paint with them on many types of surfaces, apply easily and also melt and use a variety of techniques. Their low price, long shelf life and their suitability for all ages make them recommended in every home, so it is worth getting to know and experience.
Facts and Features of Oil Pastel
- The oil pastel colors, also called panda colors, consist of pigment, oil and wax. They are a cleaner version of soft pastel, as they do not create dust and dirt.
- The oil pastels are easy to grip, oily to the touch, oily, soft, easily spread and dissolve in various materials, e.g. turpentine And spirit.
- Oil pastel can actually be smeared on the paper and is not affected by the hue itself. The colors are durable and also stand out on black paper.
- Wax chalks are reminiscent of oily pastels but the pigments of the dye are mixed with wax instead of fat. Therefore the wax chalks are less greasy to the touch and less soiling than oil pastel, but in the drawing look very reminiscent of oil pastel.
Emotional dimension and personal expression that allows drawing in oil pastel
The oil pastels invite emotional involvement. They melt and leave a mark in the hand, and connect to the senses and sensuality because of their oiliness and softness. The oil pastel colors allow for great color that blends easily and work laterally and in layers of color that activate the whole body. In this way the oil pastel colors can express anger and intense emotions.
The oil pastel colors summon a process at work. It is possible to scrape with a spatula or smooth toothpicks from the layers of oil pastel and thus constitute a metaphorical process in which "everything can be changed", open barriers and reveal more inner layers.
Registration in oil pastel - equipment and related materials
- Paper - Different types of paper; From standard A4 paper to high quality paper. It is recommended to shade with different paper colors, for example black paper. Can be painted with oil pastel also on Canvas, Especially suitable when dissolved in turpentine or alcohol.
- Yes drawing - Depending on your preferred way of working; A table drawing for sitting or a standing painting for standing. Most of the time the way it works is on a table.
- Turpentine and flaxseed oil - Use of solvents to create liquid effects.
- Color mediators - Brush or sponge for smearing and mixing shades used with different solvents. The size of the brush chosen depends on the size of the substrate and the painted image.
- Fixed - When finishing the work with oil pastel, you can spray the painting fixative to fix the oily color.
Tips and advice for the process of working with oil pastel
The oil pastels come in the form of a semi-solid cylinder. Oil pastels can be used in different ways; You can work with oil pastel horizontally and fill large surfaces on the painting substrate; Direct application in line and stain, creating many layers by applying physical pressure to a page.
You should start with light shades and continue with dark shades in the last layers.
Try melting oil pastel In turpentine or flaxseed oil For liquid effects, used With a brush For smearing, with a sponge for applying and mixing shades on the painting substrate, as well as using the fingers to blend the layers of paint together.
Combined with Watercolor paints, A combined effect can be created, in light of the fact that oil and water do not blend. For example, a light oil in a pastel white oil color, on a balloon or ball in watercolor colors in different colors.
A particularly fun method is to paint the entire substrate in colored oil pastels, cover the colored layer with black oil pastels, and use a toothpick or Painting knife Expose the colored layer through the black color to create the image you want.
Most oil pastels do not dry out completely. When the painting is finished in oil pastel colors, in order to preserve the painting and prevent it from being smeared, it is recommended to spray the finished painting. At Fixtiv And framing under opaque glass, similar to preserving watercolors.
Drawing in oil pastel
Registration studies at the Cherkov Studio in Givatayim - you are welcome to join:
Art workshops in a personal track - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Alexander Cherkov for adults and young people, beginners and advanced. The studies are in a group setting with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Art workshops for children - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Sophie Cherkov for children of primary school age, beginners and advanced. The studies in small groups with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Related posts about getting to know materials for registration:
There are a variety of types of markers for drawing and painting. Here is an explanation of markers, composition and features, emotional dimension, how to use, tips and drawing techniques.
There are a variety of types of colored pencils. Here is an explanation of colored pencils, composition and features, emotional dimension, how to use, tips and drawing techniques.
Soft pastel with a smooth texture and easily spread. Here is an explanation of soft pastel colors; Composition and features, how to use, emotional dimension, tips and painting techniques in soft pastel.