Drawing in colored pencils, beloved by artists, children and adults, makes it possible to create simple drawings up to complex and hyper-realistic drawings. Colored pencils are an accessible and convenient means of drawing, do not get dirty and are easy for accuracy and line control. They are among the durable art materials over the years and do not spoil or be destroyed. There are different types of colored pencils with different properties and here you will find an explanation and tips.
Facts and properties of colored pencils
- Colored pencils contain a core composed of pigments and various binders coated in wood.
- The use of colored pencils began for marking purposes, it was only at the beginning of the 20th century that industrial production and marketing of colored pencils began to the public. The first company to start with this was the German Faber Castell.
- The colored pencils are divided into different types:
- Oil pencils - A colored pencil containing an oily binding substance is soluble in alcohol and in spirits, leaving a prominent line and easy to mix. Great for sketching for oil paintings.
- Wax pencils - A colored pencil containing a bonding material of Arabian rubber with wax, it is soluble in alcoholic substances, has a relatively soft texture and is easy to sharpen.
- Water pencils - A colored pencil that contains a water-soluble binding material, the pigment in it is resistant to moisture and remains the same shade when it dries. Passing with a damp brush on a drawing in water pencils gives an effect of watercolor paints.
- Pastel pencils - A colored pencil with a soft pastel-based core, it is easy to mix and more convenient to use regular soft pastel drawers. Great for sketching for painting in wet media.
Emotional dimension and personal expression that allows drawing in colored pencils
Colored pencils are controlled and require patience in an ongoing work process, thus strengthening the ability to deepen, persevere and reject gratifications.
A colored pencil connects to create stories through various colorful images that enrich the narrator.
Drawing in colored pencils - equipment and related materials
- Registration paper - For exercises that aim to achieve a high level of drawing, it is important to choose high-quality paper with an erasable texture. For sketches will fit any type of paper.
- Registration board או Yes registration - Depending on your preferred way of working; Yes desktop registration or yes standing for standing registration. Outdoor, nature or urban registration; A drawing board resting on the arm, or a drawing in a hardcover drawing pad.
- Clear - When working with a colored pencil, it is recommended to use an eraser without PHT / DUST.
- sharpener - Sharpener with strong metal that does not break the pencil.
- Graphite pencils - Drawing pencils are suitable for working with a colored pencil.
Tips and advice for the process of working with colored pencils
- Get used to working on a slope, at a right angle between the page and the eye, for more accurate results. In working on a drawing substrate lying on the table, we do not see the proportions correctly. To do this, use a drawing can.
- Hold the pencil far away, as holding the pencil close is activated The left lobe, Which is verbal and logical, but in holding the pencil far is activated Right lobe, Which operates spatially, in parallel and synchronously.
- A colored pencil can produce different shades by applying different pressure to them. It is recommended to start with light color layers and darken the last layers. In creating nets with colored pencils the eye unites all the shades and a rich and colorful texture is created.
Drawing exercises in pencils
Line drawing - Hold the pencil as far away as possible. Create parallel lines, meeting lines, for example grass and leaves. It is better to have non-schematic lines, that the line will go according to emotion and not according to need. Without examples, just practice, like learning to play keyboards blindly, that your fingers will find the right keyboards without looking. Weak lines, strong, long, short, flowing, fragmented, slow, fast, parallel, vertical, from all sorts of angles. And it is also important to learn to make rounded and curling lines.
The shadows - Shading is done gradually darkening to clear from a certain direction, progressing with the pencil back and forth, and ends without a line seeing where it ends. If you want to darken then gently add more thick and short lines in layers, and no longer continue with the pencil to the end. If you want to straighten the shading or lighten a stain (there may be a bump on the paper due to the difference in the thickness of the paper texture, or something below it) then you can use an eraser without PHT / DUST.
Through creating networks or points in two Primers, A surface is created that the eye unites and turns the colors into the hue created by direct mixing between them. For example, blue and red grids will be acceptable to the eye as a purple color.
Registration studies at the Cherkov Studio in Givatayim - you are welcome to join:
Art workshops in a personal track - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Alexander Cherkov for adults and young people, beginners and advanced. The studies are in a group setting with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Art workshops for children - Painting, sculpture and drawing studies under the guidance of Sophie Cherkov for children of primary school age, beginners and advanced. The studies in small groups with guidance and personal treatment for each participant.
Related posts about getting to know materials for registration
Pencils are a common writing tool for writing or drawing. Here is an explanation of pencils, composition and features, emotional dimension, how to use, tips, techniques and exercises in drawing.
Here is an explanation of registration aids; Types of erasers, sharpeners, charcoal diffuser, fixative, composition frame, division square, drawing board, and tips for working and keeping the drawings.
Soft pastel oil colors and melt in different materials. Here is an explanation of oil pastel; Composition and features, how to use, emotional dimension, tips and painting techniques in oil pastel.